5 Ways to Use Lavender Essential Oil
There’s more to lavender than meets the eye or nose. Lavender is an extremely versatile herb possessing a wide variety of medicinal, aesthetic, and culinary purposes. Have fun and feel better with Smile Natural Products essential oils!
There’s more to lavender than meets the eye or nose. It's a vibrant colored flower with a beautiful fragrance that makes it the most easily recognizable plants around. Lavender is an extremely versatile herb possessing a wide variety of medicinal, aesthetic, and culinary purposes.
Lavender, or Lavandula angustifolia, is a small herbaceous plant of the family Lamiaceae (LAY-mee-AY-see-e(y)e). The plant contains a high percentage of natural essential oils, and is characterized by its smell, which is fresh and fragrant with woody notes.
Lavender essential oil can be used topically, aromatically, or internally. Lavender can enhance mood, relieve stress and headaches, soothe burns, induce sleep, treat aching muscles and joints, and even act as an aphrodisiac.
Here are five common ways to use Lavender essential oil:
1) As aromatherapy, add a few drops to the water to the Aromatherapy Diffuser. This will help to purify the air, enhance your mood, and soothe your mind and body. Create a relaxing atmosphere in your home every day by diffusing rooms and misting bedding.
2) As an insect repellant, try it in a spray or rub on your skin under clothing. Lavender oil is an excellent mosquito repellant, eliminating the itch and other discomforts of mosquito bites immediately upon application. The oil has antiseptic properties that heal wounds, virus-caused sores, burns, insect bites, and stings.
3) As a sleep-aid, place 1 drop of lavender on your pillowcase or massage around your ear and chest area. Lavender oil has been proven to be an effective sleep aid by increasing natural melatonin production, helping you sleep more deeply and for longer.
4) As an antiseptic, add it to melted coconut oil to make a soothing balm for small scratches, cuts, burns, rashes, or bug bites.
5) For relaxation and mental clarity, put a few drops into your bath water to relieve sore muscles and reduce anxiety. Evidence suggests that lavender essential oil helps with balancing one's emotions.
Other benefits of Lavender oil include:
- Helps to relieve headaches and migraines
- Reduces inflammation and muscle pain
- Increases mood
- Protects against UV light, hence, sunburn.
- Eases Menstrual cramps
- Prevents wrinkles, acne, eczema, and psoriasis
- Soothes burn and skin irritation
- Eases gastrointestinal discomfort
- Lowers blood pressure
Have fun and feel better with all of Smile Natural Products essential oils!